Wednesday, August 6, 2014

The Meeting

November 7 @ 7 pm

As I arrived at the restaurant and parked in the back, I freshened up my lip gloss and jumped out of the car.  As I turned the corner to the front of the building, I saw him.  He was standing next to the front door in jeans, brown shoes and a brown shirt.  I walked confidently to him with my head held high and instantly kissed him.  We didn’t even speak any words to each other.  We just kissed.  It was beyond anything else I had ever experienced.  It was like we knew each other already.  It was like it was the right thing to do.  The kiss was so nice.  Not passionate, but it wasn’t innocent either.  It just didn’t feel like I was greeting a stranger.  It seemed natural to just walk up to him and kiss him.  It was a feeling I would never again experience.  “Hi.”, his voice was soft.  “Hi.”, with a huge smile I spoke.  “Ready to head in?” he asked as he put his hand on my lower back and motioned towards the front door. “Sure.”  The smile just didn’t want to leave my face.  We checked in with our reservations and were lead up the stairs.  I walked ahead of him and wondered if he was checking my ass out.  I hope so…it looked good in these jeans!  He pulled my chair out for me and we settled into a table set for two on the enclosed balcony.  We looked over the menu and I was concerned because this wasn’t the type of place you ordered a Guinness at.  A white wine was offered by the young waitress when she arrived at our table.  I was not a wine drinker but it saved me from ordering something I had never had before.  I also ordered the side of water.  “Rum and Diet Coke”, he seemed to know exactly what he wanted.  The conversation was very strange.  He was quiet.  Very quiet.  He just kept staring at me with these incredible deep set blue eyes.  He had a smile on his face almost the whole time, as did I.  I would talk…like I always did and he gave short, one line answers.  Then my phone went off with a text message.  “Sorry, about the phone.  I just need to make sure my kids are ok.” He didn’t seem to mind.  Caty was right on time…7:30. 

You ok?

It was with a huge smile that I replied…

Yes.  He’s perfect.

He was…he did seem perfect.

OK.  I’m here if you need me.  Just head to the bathroom and text me and I will get you out.

Caty loved me like a sister and was the only person in my life that would tell me the honest truth whether it hurt me or not.  She would call me out and tell me when I was being an idiot.  The whole situation with my boss was a big topic of “being an idiot” between me and her.

“Definitely no microwaved meals here”, Evan said with that cute smile on his face. I laughed, “No, definitely not.” I did not consider myself a “foodie”.  I was a Burger King type of gal.  From prior conversations with Evan he was used to the finer foods.  Yes, he liked the wings and the pizza, but he definitely preferred the nicer restaurants.  Not really my thing, but I just have to learn to try different things.  As our food arrived at the table, the conversation continued but it really seemed one sided.  He just wouldn’t stop staring…even while he was eating.  “Why do you keep staring at me?”  It was time to ask because by now it just seemed odd.  “I just have a strange feeling.  I feel like I have known you forever.  I just can’t believe I’m sitting across from you.  It just seems perfect.”  He said these words without removing his stare into my eyes.  I instantly got a warm feeling and he was right…it did feel perfect.  As I’m stuffing my face and keeping it clean this time, my phone went off.

Everything ok?

It was my sister.  She was the only other one that knew I was on a first date.  I liked that she was checking on me.

Yup.  I’m good J  Thanks for checking!
I quickly apologized to Evan again considering he never once glanced at his phones.  The night was coming to an end and I went out on a limb. “Would you like to come back to my place?”  This would be the first time I would ever ask a man to come to my place on a first date.  “Sure.”, he said with that adorable smile.  I instantly felt strange.  What would he think of my place?  I lived in a very small trailer in a park.  Would he judge me?  Trailer trash came to mind.  My place was a complete dump on the outside because it was old, but once you stepped inside you were shocked.  Very modern looking with hardwood floors. “I feel weird saying this, but I should warn you about my place.” He looked at me strange and said, “Ok.” I explained that I lived in a very small trailer in a park.  I explained that it was really the only place I could afford on my own since I wasn’t receiving any help from my ex-husband.  “Do you want to run now?”  I seemed to be worried about this one running.  “No, not at all.  I don’t care where you live.”  His voice calmed my nerves down.  He paid the bill without hesitation and he walked me over to my car.  I wondered if he would kiss me since he was just going to follow me to my place but he did.  This one was much more intense, longer, and passionate.  I liked it.  I liked his mouth on mine.  I liked his tongue on mine.  This was good…this was very good.  As we broke apart both with smiles on our faces, he headed to his car and I waited for him to follow me.

The first time ever I saw your face I thought the sun rose in your eyes And the moon and the stars were the gifts you gave To the dark and the endless skies, my love To the dark and the endless skies
And the first time ever I kissed
your mouth I felt the earth move in my hand Like the trembling heart of a captive bird That was there at my command, my love That was there at my command, my love
And the first time ever I lay with you I felt your heart so close to mine And I knew our joy would fill the earth And last 'til the end of time, my love And it would last 'til the end of time, my love
The first time ever I saw your face Your face Your face Your face

~Roberta Flack

No comments:

Post a Comment