Wednesday, May 9, 2012

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

I was cleaning out some old boxes yesterday and  came across my notebooks from when I was in outpatient therapy.  I decided to read through them realizing just how far I have come since then.  Some things were hard to read but most were enlightening.  During therapy I was encouraged to write.  So I did...A LOT.  I wrote down my feelings, my thoughts.  I wrote letters to people that were in my life and to some that had left. It did sadden me to see how "messed up" I was. I should have never been dating!!!  I came across this one entry that I wrote and thought I would share it:

9/12/2009, Give Each Other Plenty of Space to Grow

When you meet someone and fall in love, you want nothing but the best for them.  You also want to see them realize their full potential - physically, intellectually, emotionally.  Sometimes the persons full potential takes place during a relationship.  Therefore you must give each other room to grow.  This may involve self-sacrifice as you relinquish your mates attention so they can reach their full potential.  Sometimes it also means giving your mate room to suffer.  Sometimes it also means you may suffer also.  From situations that may be painful, they will bring about meaningful growth in character.  When your relationship is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow.  So let it grow, for when your endurance is fully developed, you will be strong in character and ready for anything.  Open your arms and release your mate so they can work all things out for the good.  Encourage their growth and then be ready to take them back into your arms to enjoy their full potential.

I can't tell you if I copied this passage from a book or if they are my original words, because I did not note it, but I do love what is written and oh so true.

I wrote a lot of positive quotes also.  Here are some of my favorites:

Prove your Love with deeds by day, then express it once more at night - speaking from your heart.

Come out of hiding.  You will no longer feel the need for even the smallest deception.  Best of all, the intimacy you long for - with each other - will grow.

A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.

Two people are often joined together who have vastly different strengths, weaknesses, talents, interests, personalities and perspectives.  The character traits of each compliment the other, making the couple stronger, expanding their potential, and creating a life that they never could have known apart.

The whole point of being alive is to evolve into the complete person you were intended to be.



~Jen

2 comments:

  1. WOW, you sure know how to bring tears to someones eyes! I really really needed to read that! Thanks Jen and so so proud and happy for you! You deserve all the happiness in the world and then some!

    ReplyDelete